Saturday, March 7, 2009

Karate Kid


Evan has been asking us to try karate off and on since seeing Kung Fu Panda over the summer. We did try a free class at one maritial arts school in July, but I wasn't crazy about the instructor or the price. Feeling the pressure from other neighborhood moms who take their kids to year-round swimming lessons, music lessons, etc., I decided to give karate another look. (And, I see team sports like t-ball and soccer in the near future. With anti-athletic genes like mine, I figure Evan would benefit from some sort of program that emphasizes coordination, strength, and balance.)
Right now we are taking advantage of an introductory deal at Holden Maritial Arts that included two private lessons, 5 weeks of group lessons and the uniform. Evan really enjoyed the private lessons and did very well staying focused for the 30 minutes. This weekend was his first group class with the other Junior Dragons aged 4-5. As you can see from group photo below, he is the tiniest Junior Dragon, but he was able to stay with the 45 minute class better than most of the others. He is already picking up on the karate jaragon demonstrating his horse stance, hammer punch, and other moves. We haven't had to remind him too often to save his moves for karate class and practice and not to try them out on Finbar or Liam. We'll see how much he continues to like the karate class and how much we want to invest in this activity. After the introductory offer, it is not very affordable. I may need to look for a discount program. At least, he'll have the uniform.

No comments: