Sunday, March 1, 2009

Birthday Madness










I wish that I could say that the title of this post simply referred to the fun of celebrating Henry and Grampa's birthdays this weekend. Not that we did not have a great time celebrating, we certainly did, but Evan's behavior has been challenging over the weekend. At times, he has been the little angel pictured to the right, and at other times, he has been uncontrollable.


I expected that Evan would have a hard time controlling himself with the gift opening portion of Henry's party. In fact, I had a game plan, or rather a bribe, in place. I allowed Evan to choose a toy at Walmart before the party and told him that he could open the toy if he did not try to open Henry's presents for him. What I wasn't expecting was Evan's inability to control himself for most of the party. By the end of the party, I was so tired of hearing my own voice telling Evan to stop doing something that I was ready to scream. Obviously, he did not earn the opportunity to open the Star Wars Lego Set. The good behavior chart (a very effective tool with improving his behavior in the past--which I should never stop doing) is back on the refrigerator.


On the plus side of Henry's first birthday party, and there were many pluses, Henry seemed to enjoy his birthday party more than any other one year old I have ever seen. The anticipation in his eyes as he saw the beautiful cake that Meg made coming his way was adorable. As expected, he showed great skill and interest as he devoured his cupcake. And, despite the interference of his cousins--sometimes helpful, many times not, he genuinely enjoyed seeing his presents opened. In the photo above, Liam is showing Henry his new Richard Scarry book.
Tonight we invited Nana and Grampa over for dinner and cake for Grampa's birthday. Evan was again Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde. While wearing his halo, he set the table including an elaborate arrangement of candles for Grampa and insisted on turning off all of the lights in the house for the cake ceremony. Thus, I had to use the nightshot on my camera to capture his creativity. The cake definitely paled in comparison to Meg's cake the day before, but it was homemade instead of my usual Big Y cake. And, Grampa appreciated that fact that we made him "31" using the most favorable arrangement of available number candles.
Here's hoping that the karate unit on respect and the good behavior chart brings back the more "predictickle" and agreeable Evan very soon!

No comments: