Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Waiting for Words


For what seems like years, Evan has been capable of saying polite words and phrases such as please, thank you, and excuse me, but he needed reminders to use good manners. As the wise Nana told me, children are not born with manners. Despite our diligent efforts to teach Evan good manners, he seemed to be getting downright rude oftening ordering us around. Then, one day a few weeks ago during a cooking project, he started saying, "Thank you, Mother," as every step of the recipe. Now he exercises good manners more than half of the time on his own. I guess that nagging does work.

The other two phrases that he has recently begun to use without prompting are "I love you Mommy" and "I have to use the potty." (If you have read the post on potty training, you'll understand how I can lump these two phrases together in a statement of pride and affection. ) Of course, it was only a matter of days before, he started manipulating the use of these phrases for his own gain. One of his favorite stalling techniques at bedtime is a trip to our bedroom saying, "Mommy, I have something to tell you. I love you." There is usually a second trip to tell Daddy the same thing. And, there is no better way to interrupt a parent's precious alone time than with a plea to use the potty, a task that usually warrants privis. Isn't that ironic?

No comments: