Friday, August 28, 2009

Kindergarten Open House


I can't believe that Evan will be starting kindergarten in less than a week, but he is. September 2nd is the big day! This week we went to an open house at the school to check out the new full-day kindergarten classroom. As the invitation clearly stated, we did not meet his teacher, Mrs. Benoit, on this day. That will wait until next week. Evan was impressed with the art supplies, book selection, and road rug in the kindergarten classroom, but I think he was a bit disappointed that there were no desks.
It really didn't look much different than his preschool except the room is larger. There will be 21 kids with the teacher and aide in his classroom compared to 10 kids with two teachers in his preschool. Then, of course, there is the size of the entire school which is quite big. We had a chance to check out the library, gym, and cafeteria. (Evan could not believe that the entire library was a kids section.)
So far Evan has not expressed much worry about the start of kindergarten and claims to be excited. He already has his new backpack, which is wider than him, and lunchbox. On Monday, I am taking the day off to do some clothes and shoes shopping for the big transition. I am so glad that he does not have to take the bus, and we will get to walk him over the school and see him join his class. Hopefully, I can hold it together until I get out of the school. It will be a long 6 hours waiting to hear how the day went if he is willing to devulge any details.

No comments: