Monday, August 3, 2009

A Bit of a Washout

A few months ago I was psyched to get a coveted noon slot for swimming lessons at the Holden Pool. I thought a noon slot would avoid cold water temperatures. Little did I know that the last two weeks of July would be so cool, and the water temperatures so frigid no matter what the time of day. And, apparently use of the heater for the pool is not in the budget. (I would gladly pay an extra $10 to have the pool heated.) Check out Evan's blue lips after 30 minutes in the water! I had to wrap him up in his towel and the beach blanket.

We were signed up for two weeks of swimming and pee wee tennis for Evan and two weeks of swimming for Liam. In the end, Evan was able to attend 5 tennis lessons and 7 swimming lessons due to either cold temperatures or heavy rains. Liam only attend 3 lessons, because Mommy refused to get into the pool the first week of lessons when temperatures did not get past the low 70s. At least, lessons are only $25 for two weeks.

I wish I had been able to get more pictures and some video, but the day that Nana was going to come with us, we had torrential downpours. So you'll have to take my word for it that Liam loved every minute of his 3 lessons singing his heart out with the songs, squealing down the water slide with Mommy, and completely getting over his fear of floating on his back and jumping into the deep water. You'll also have to imagine Evan giving 100% effort as he swam whole laps of the pool with a noodle and ran and jumped off of the diving board. Despite his complete lack of body fat, he stuck out his entire lessons in the cold water. I did get a shot of him going down the water slide all by himself.I wasn't able to see much of the pee wee tennis lessons, as I took Liam to the adjacent playground during the lessons. I was not too impressed with the two lessons that I saw. The two 15 year old girls who were the "teachers" spent the lesson sitting on their rear ends trying to teach 4 and 5 year olds who had never played tennis how to hit tennis balls, balance tennis balls on their rackets, and do "uppers" and "downers" without demonstrating the manuvers. They did stand up to lead the stretches as seen below, but apparently that was all of the energy that they had.
Hopefully, we'll have better weather next year. We'll definitely be taking swimming lessons at the Y this fall.

No comments: