Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Good News for Liam

Today Liam had his second appointment at UMass Hospital with a developmental pediatrician. It was a follow-up from his stay in the NICU to assess whether he shows any long-term effects from his traumatic entry into this world. For those who aren't familiar with the story, Liam was deprived of oxygen before being born and had to be intubated (twice according to our medical bills) to start breathing. Fortunately, he suffered none of the immediate effects that can happen from this experience, but the developmental delays cannot be detected until the baby is older.

While Liam has seemed to be on target developmentally to us and his child care providers, I've always had some worry especially after his first appointment indicated possible problems with his verbal development. Before his appointment, I gathered a count of his words from Greg and me and his day care providers. We came up with the following words--oggie (doggie), ah dah (all done), hi-ya, bye-bye, ca (car), uppy (up), da (duck). Of course, then I wondered if these words counted. I can't get him always get him to say the words on demand.

Today's visit with the developmental pediatrician eased any of my concerns about Liam's developmental progress. He dazzled the doctor and developmental specialist with his gross motor and fine motor skills as well as physical health and good nature. He showed them some skills that I didn't know he had. His verbal abilities are fine. He was proclaimed developmentally on target and discharged from NICU follow-up services. I was so happy and thankful about the news that I practically burst into tears in the office. God has certainly blessed Liam and our family.

No comments: