Wednesday, November 18, 2009

First Parent Teacher Conference

On Friday, I had Evan's first parent-teacher conference with his kindergarten teacher, Ms. Benoit. I was a little nervous that I would start crying when I had to listen to Evan's report--not because I was afraid that it would be bad, but I held it together quite well. (Apparently, my concerns about crying were not unfounded, as there was a box of tissues on the table.)

Evan is doing well academically and socially. Ms. Benoit wrote, "He is a sweet boy who tries very hard to please and wants to do well. He is a good friend to his peers and works well with others in the class." I also learned some of the benchmarks that Evan will be expected to reach by first grade including counting to 100 and learning about 40 sight words.

We have been amazed by how much Evan has learned since starting kindergarten two months ago. His printing of upper case and lower case letters has improved tremendously. He is starting show a real interest in and aptitude for reading. He actually requests to work on his sight words each night before he goes to bed. He teaches Liam all kinds of songs that he learns in music class.

For the rest of the quarters of the school year, Evan will receive a written report card so that was my 15 minutes with Ms. Benoit. Fortunately, I volunteer in the classroom at least once a month so I can actually see how Evan and Ms. Benoit are doing.

No comments: