Friday, October 30, 2009

Hiking with Liam

Hiking might be a bit of an exaggeration to describe my outing with Liam today, but we did have a great time. Looking for an outside activity that didn't involve wet sandboxes or swings and forcing Liam to hold my hand, we headed to the Central Massachusetts Rail Trail. I just discovered this local treasure a few months ago when I decided to go for a run there on Labor Day.
There is a 5 mile stretch of the rail trail that runs from Holden to West Boyston that runs along the Quinapoxet River with some beautiful bridges and old mill sites to explore. For the runner, biker, and parent of young children, the trail is blessedly flat and wide. I only wish I didn't have to worry about hunters. It is as beautiful as any state park in New England that I have ever visited. And, it's five minutes from our house.
Liam and I didn't make it too far on the trail, as his endurance for hiking is limited. We did walk to the first bridge where we spent about 20 minutes dropping leaves into the river below to see whose leaf was fell the fastest. He'll do a demonstration in the video below. The whole time that we were there, Liam was searching for Nana and Grampa with whom we had visited the Rail Trail with over the weekend. For the longest time, he kept asking me if they were hiding in the woods.



No comments: