Saturday, October 24, 2009

PTA Mom

The theme of the week was PTA! On Monday night, I had my first PTA meeting with about 40 Holden moms and exactly 2 Holden dads where the focus was MCAS test results as presented by the superintendent. Of course, he also had to answer the oft-asked questions about a gifted-and-talented program and class sizes. I know that I am new to the public school game, but I can't believe that anyone honestly thinks that anything that adds to the budget will come to fruition in this economy.

Next up for PTA mom was the Book Fair which has come a long way since I was in elementary school. The library was set up like a miniature Barnes and Noble with not only books for the kids but books for the parents too. I got to see several different classes come to do their shopping. The best shoppers with the fifth grade boys with their little wallets and Star Wars books.

Later in the same day was the volunteer assignment that I have been yearning for--kindergarten classroom helper. One Wednesday a month I will be volunteering in Evan's classroom from 1-3 PM. This is the time of day when the kindergarteners have their "jobs," which are four different activity centers that groups of 5-6 students visit. I was responsible for the "job" of sequencing using an activity of the stages of a pumpkin from seed to pie. The activity was deceptively simple, and I must admit that controlling 6 five year olds in the midst of a stapler was challenging. It was so loud in the classroom, and I couldn't believe that most of the kids had no trouble concentrating. Evan was very excited to see me, but I was glad that he wasn't too distracted.
My final PTA activity of the week was the Fall Festival, an annual event in which they open the school in the evening for crafts, games, food, and a haunted house. It was a madhouse as shown in the photo below.
As usual, it was amazing to see how many kids of all ages know Evan by name. Evan and Liam both did well in the haunted house which wasn't too scary, but I think that there favorite part was being fussed over by the teenaged girls doing the temporary tatoos and face-painting. Toward the end of the night, I had a shift in the games area, and Evan decided to stay with me. He was an excellent helper handing out prizes and chasing down plastic gourds. (Our game was tossing plastic gourds into plastic pumpkins.)





No comments: