Evan's preschool decided to stay open today on a federal holiday which was good for our progress on painting our family room and good for Evan's knowledge of the holiday. While on the way home from school, I asked him if they talked about the inaugeration. He said, "No. We talked about a president who is dead." I asked if he meant Martin Luther King, Jr. He told me that he meant MLK and reported that they read a book about him. When I asked him what he learned from the book about MLK, he said three things:
1. He didn't like people fighting.
2. He talked about white and black children and grown-ups.
3. He changed the rules about things especially buses.
He sounded very impressed and told us that he would like to visit the place where they took MLK's body after he died. So the obsession with death and heaven continues...
On an topic unrelated to MLK but related to the death/heaven obsession, he later listed to me the people and animals he expected to see in heaven and asked if he could work on some cards to bring to heaven with him. You might think that he views heaven as a place that he can visit and come back to earth, but I don't think so. When I told him that he needn't be in a hurry to get to heaven, he said, "Don't worry. We won't be going there for a long time until there are lots more babies, kids, mommies, and daddies to take our place on earth. Perhaps some may even live in our house." I don't know where he comes up with this stuff. It's definitely not on the curriculum at St. Francis Episcopal Church School.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Perhaps it is time to introduce Evan to this website?
http://www.findagrave.com/
Perhaps it is time to introduce Evan to this website?
http://www.findagrave.com/
Post a Comment