Who would have thought that someone who has never used a i-pod, sent a text message, or knows what Webkinz are would start a blog? But, inspired by my brother and sister-in-law, I have jumped on the bandwagon. With two young sons and no time or desire for scrapbooking, this new technology seems like a great way to capture the joy, wonder, and laughter (and sometimes, frustration) that accompany motherhood.
A wise former neighbor of mine gave some of the most important advice for parenthood. She told me, "Write down the things that your children tell you." Ever since her children could speak, she has been writing down interesting, funny, and clever stories that her children tell her on post-it notes. She has transcribed them into journals that she keeps in a safe deposit box. These journals are her most cherished belongings, because unlike photographs, no one can replace them. I have to admit that I have been lax about taking her advice. I have written down a few words that Evan has invented and theories that Evan has proposed (Evanisms), but that's about it. Liam has yet to be a victim of my laziness in this regard, as he has not started talking, but already I cannot recall certain developmental milestones.
The Brothers YZ is my attempt take my neighbor's advice. I think the Brothers YZ Fan Club will enjoy it. I know that I will enjoy looking back at my posts and pictures. And, maybe the Brothers YZ will be able to read it someday. I'll try not to embarass them too much!
Today was a wonderful day in the world of YZ. It is Friday, and Mommy spent the day with the boys. On the way to taking Evan
for an overpriced haircut and trip to the "train store," Evan said, "You're the best Mommy ever." While this statement was definitely something worth writing down, I must acknowledge that Evan's superlative was influenced by a large dose of Richard Scarry. Evan continued his conversation to note that I was not the best policeman ever like Sargeant Murphy. Later, in the day, I accidentally found out that Liam is able to sit up on his own for at least five minutes. All of this, along with a last trip to the pool for the season, minimized an apparent relapse in toilet training.
A wise former neighbor of mine gave some of the most important advice for parenthood. She told me, "Write down the things that your children tell you." Ever since her children could speak, she has been writing down interesting, funny, and clever stories that her children tell her on post-it notes. She has transcribed them into journals that she keeps in a safe deposit box. These journals are her most cherished belongings, because unlike photographs, no one can replace them. I have to admit that I have been lax about taking her advice. I have written down a few words that Evan has invented and theories that Evan has proposed (Evanisms), but that's about it. Liam has yet to be a victim of my laziness in this regard, as he has not started talking, but already I cannot recall certain developmental milestones.
The Brothers YZ is my attempt take my neighbor's advice. I think the Brothers YZ Fan Club will enjoy it. I know that I will enjoy looking back at my posts and pictures. And, maybe the Brothers YZ will be able to read it someday. I'll try not to embarass them too much!
Today was a wonderful day in the world of YZ. It is Friday, and Mommy spent the day with the boys. On the way to taking Evan
for an overpriced haircut and trip to the "train store," Evan said, "You're the best Mommy ever." While this statement was definitely something worth writing down, I must acknowledge that Evan's superlative was influenced by a large dose of Richard Scarry. Evan continued his conversation to note that I was not the best policeman ever like Sargeant Murphy. Later, in the day, I accidentally found out that Liam is able to sit up on his own for at least five minutes. All of this, along with a last trip to the pool for the season, minimized an apparent relapse in toilet training.
1 comment:
Glad to see you started the bandwagon. I should look over past e-mails of mind to find Evanisms worth remembering. Great title!
Uncle Brian
Post a Comment