Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Three Year Old's Mystery

Driving Evan home from preschool is one of the best parts of my day. The running commentary from the backseat is always very entertaining. He's "funnier than television" as a receptionist once described his Papa. Last week our conversation began with Evan saying, "Thanks for getting me out of St. Mary's, Mommy!" (This statement was made as if I had just posted bail for him.) And, I replied, "You're welcome. How was your day?" His answer was, "Good, Mommy." Then, I asked my usual question of "What did you do at school today?" His reply was the same as it has been for many weeks now, "I'll tell you when we get home." When pressed for a reason for the withholding of information, he changes the subject. Once home, he will provide an endless stream of delaying tactics for answering a seemingly simple question. Given his usual chattiness, his keeping mum on this question is out of character. Well, today I finally got an answer for his evasiveness. When he refused to provide any information about his day at preschool at home, I again asked, "Why won't you tell me what happens at school?" To which he replied, "It's my mystery, Mommy. That's why." And, so it remains for now.

2 comments:

kestrelia said...

Ha! His own private life begins!

-B

sassymom said...

I'm sure whatever mysterious happenings occur at St. Mary's will not even compare with his private life as a teenager. Ugh!