Monday, June 11, 2012

Becoming a Bear


There's a Bear in the family!

We had an exciting weekend of baseball, sleepovers at Nana and Grampa's house, banner party at church, and the highly anticipated Trout Brook Cub Scout Campover where Evan crossed over to being a Bear.    He also received many more awards including the much sought after "Panda Patch" aka World Conservation Badge.  His haul is pictured below:

















Before the awards ceremony, there were all sorts of activities including the boulder wall, firebuilding, kickball, and hiking.  With so many firemen among the Scout dads, the Scouts were able to re-enact a Fireman's Muster.  Evan got lucky and was chosen to be in charge of the nozzle with his much larger fellow scout, Colin.



Evan also spent lots of time at the small pond fishing, birdwatching, finding turtles and salamders and building dams.
The weather was perfect for camping out with warm temperatures and low humidity--hardly any bugs.  I was fortunate to be lent an air mattress at the last minute, and along with my trusty ear plugs and Kindle, I got a pretty good night's sleep in the tent.

I was so proud of Den 6 who worked so hard throughout the year and behaved so well throughout the awards and day activities.  There are many times when I question my decision to take on being a Den Leader and my ability to be a good one.  And, I don't want to get into my ethical isssues with Boy Scouts of America.  I cannot question the pure joy that Evan gets out of the Cub Scout experience especially at events like these.

No comments: