Sunday, March 20, 2011

More About Marathon Mommy


After April 18th, the blog will return to its original subject matter, the Brothers YZ, but for the next 4 weeks, it's not a lot about Mommy. Today the boyz traveled with me to New Bedford for a half marathon. Most of the Run for the Memory team was racing, and many of us--me included had great days.
This 13.1 course was much tougher than other half marathons that I've run. It had some tough hills especially at mile 12 and featured at least 5 miles along the ocean into a strong headwind. Still with company and encouragement of my teammate, Rob, and the cheers of Greg and the Brothers YZ, I finished in 1:52.09. 5 minutes faster than my previous personal record at a blistering (for this 38 year old mommy) 8:34 pace. I usually train at a 9:45 pace.
My name has given my Run for the Memory coach illusions of grandeur for the Boston Marathon trying to encourage me to race for a 4:00 marathon. I don't think I can manage that, but this race has been me optimistic for next week's 21 mile training run and the marathon. My fundraising is also going well. As soon as $500 donation from a support group member is posted, I'll be over $4,400. Visit http://alz.kintera.org/boston2011/nicolemcgurin to check out my progress or make a donation.
While I was racing, Greg took the boys to a nice playground where Liam was very proud to scale a rock wall. Evan made the sign that he is holding up.


No comments: