Sunday, May 9, 2010

Adventures in Potty Training, Part Two




After months of frustration with trying to get Liam to use the potty, he has now been wearing underpants without a single daytime accident for the last week. With Liam's being three years old and showing all signs of potty training readiness, I was beginning to worry that I was the reason he was still in diapers, that I wasn't making a serious effort. Just as his brother before him, Liam was not tempted by my bribes and was showing a will of steel.

Then, two weeks ago before a long weekend, I decided to act as though he was already potty trained. I put him in underwear and tried to say as cheerfully as possible, "It's time to use the potty," when he started giving his very obvious signals. It helped that he loved the book given to us by our neighbor, Everyone Poops, especially with gross sound effects. In the first few days, he needed lots of reminders about extra enticements like M&Ms and a special toy at the end of the week, but now he usually tells us when he has to use the bathroom and doesn't really need reminders. Amazing!

Now he will be able to attend the same preschool program as his friends and will save us $10 per day when he starts preschool. For the first time in five years, I did not have to buy diapers or pull-ups at my weekly Target run.

Liam will kill me when he is a teenager, but here are two pictures of Big Boy Liam. In one shot, he is showing his belly and his boxer briefs, a birthday present from Uncle Brian and Aunt Meg. In another shot, he is demonstrating his cowboy potty style, courtesy of Grammy's genius. I could never get Evan to use the potty this way, but it has cut down on the bathroom clean-up.

No comments: