Boy, has field day improved since I was kid! This week I had a blast volunteering at field day at Evan's school. Their gym teacher, whom they refer to as Coach, does a fabulous job of pulling off this event.
First, almost everyone who participates in field day--students, parent volunteers, teacher, and spectators--wears a special t-shirt. It changes every year, and each class has a special version with everyone's signature on the back.

There were at least 15 different stations, none of which were as boring as the standing broad jump, shuttle races, kickball games, etc. that I remember. There was an obstacle course, fishing pond, huge parachute, nerf football volleyball, just to name a few. Apparently, they play all of these fun games regularly in gym class, but that didn't damper their excitement. Even the game that I was leading, Builders and Bulldozers, a rather simple one, was greeted with much enthusiasm, a bloody nose, and a few bruises.
Here is Evan with one of his classmates, Brandon:

Here was the most creative and popular game called Car Wash. As you can see in the picture below, kids propel themselves on dollies under car wash flaps while the parents spray them with hoses. Yesterday was more than hot enough for Car Wash.

And, here is what the kids look like playing four square after Car Wash.
No comments:
Post a Comment