Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Marathon Mommy's Big Day






After many months of training, the big day finally arrived. Yesterday I fulfilled a longtime dream of mine--to run in the Boston Marathon representing the Alzheimer's Association. It was such an absolutely amazing experience. Part of me still can't believe that it happened.




I'm still feeling pretty emotional about it, and it's hard to put into words so I'll just have to report on the facts. I finished in 4.30.26 only having to walk an itty-bitty bit and take one potty break. (According to my Garmin, I actually ran 26.41 miles not 26.2 miles.) Greg, Mom, and the boyz cheered me on at mile 3 joined by the g-unit and mile 20 joined by Uncle Steve. Dad brought me to the start in the morning and made arrangements to work in Framingham that day to see me at mile 6.




The support the I received to achieve this goal has been overwhelming both in terms of training and fundraising. This was the first time I ever really participated on an athletic team, and it is so much easier and more fun to log the miles with running partners, a coach, and water stops. I never could have attended these teams runs if Greg didn't given up many Saturdays to be with the boys on his own and with a run-exhausted me. I never thought I'd reach my $5,000 fundraising goal, but with the generosity of family, friends, friends of family and family of friends, colleagues, and clients, I raised more than $7,500 for the Alzheimer's Association. All I can say is "Wow!" (and, for the next few days, "Ow!")

No comments: