Monday, November 7, 2011

My First Pack Meeting

Last Friday night was a momentous occasion for me as a den leader. It was my first planning and executing of the monthly Pack meeting which usually has at least 50 cub scouts from first grade to fifth grade. Inspired by an experience of Evan's in first grade and the upcoming holiday, I decided to go with a Veterans theme. I must acknowledge that I had the help of a very experienced Assistant Cubmaster in the planning of the meeting, but then he had to go away on business at the last minute and could not participate in the meeting itself.

We kicked off the meeting with a presentation by Anthony Renzoni, a selectman from the town of Holden and 10 year member of the Army. He made a visit to Evan's first grade class last year, and Evan loved it. Mr. Renzoni told the boys about what made him join the Army and shared the equipment of an infantryman in Afganistan. The scouts were very excited to hear what he had to say and see what he brought.

At the close of Mr. Renzoni's presentation, the Ancient Sudbury Fyfe and Drum Companie marched into the hall playing a tune. One of the den leaders is a member. The scouts were very surprised and wowed by the performance.

After 2 songs, the Fyfe and Drum Companie marched the scouts out of the hall to raise a new flag that the Pack purchased for the church. Once raised, the Scouts sang the National Anthem accompanied by the Fyfe and Drum Companie. All of the Scouts were so reverent and spirited that I was very proud of them.


Once we were back inside, it was time for my least favorite part of Pack meetings over which I have no control--awards. At least, Den 6 was second for once. Evan enjoyed showing his new Soccer Belt Loop to his very special guest, Dziadek.


At the end of the meeting, all of the Veterans were invited to the front for a special recognition. Assistant Cubmaster, Dave Lambert who is also a 10 year Army veteran and great guy, lead this part of the ceremony. Many of the Scouts had invited grandfathers, fathers, uncles, and neighbors for this part of the night. Evan was extremely proud to have his great-grandfather and World War II veteran to attend. All of the veterans were presented with Patriotic gifts made by the Scouts.



I was happy with how well the event went off. The Scouts were lively and loud, as usual for these Friday evening events,but they were very engaged and interested. It was great to have so many veterans join us for the event. I have been speaking to a reporter from the T&G about featuring the Pack meeting in this weeks Towns supplement. I hope we make it in.

Hopefully, this meeting fulfills my annual Pack requirement, and I'll be off the hook for a while. It's enough work preparing for Den meetings for 10 scouts.

No comments: